eBay Roundup 2009.12.13

Here are the interesting auctions from November:

1966 MATTEL MAJOR MATT MASON SPACE FIGURE NEAR MINT


eBay Auction #200398991960
Ending Bid: $141.38
End Date: Nov 02, 2009 19:34:06 PST

Description:
This is a vintage unplayed with 1966 Mattel Major Matt Mason 6" tall space figure with movable arms and legs in good shape. There are no broken wires in the arms or legs. Comes with helmet which has a yellow visor that lifts up.Condition is very near mint unplayed with. Very clean with no wear at all.

My Take:
Basically your unrecognized (at least by the seller) White Rubber MMM figure - these really retain their value and from this auction enough know what evidence to look for to recognize them by photo.







Very Nice Major Matt Mason Calisto figure MOC No reserv



eBay Auction #230398905311
Ending Bid: $256.10
End Date: Nov 22, 2009 17:30:01 PST

Description:
Offered here is a very nice Major Matt Mason / Calisto figure still sealed on it's original card. The figure is as bright and clean as you would expect, with no rubs or factory defects visable at all. The card is un-punched, nice and clean with no stains or tears and has it's bubble firmly attached all around. There are two minor imperfections that I have tried to show in the pictures. The card has curved some over the years, and that has caused the bubble to indent some in the upper right hand corner. It has NOT caused it to crack or split in any way. I've tried to show it in the picture that has a close up of Calisto's face. With his head turned the way it is, he is looking right at the indentation. There is also a light surface crease that runs diagonally through the lower right hand corner above the price sticker. This figure is right out of my 25+ year Major Matt Mason collection and really is a nice, clean, sharp example of a hard to find piece and I'm sure it will look as nice in your collection as it has in mine. It is one of a small group of high grade Major Matt Mason toys I'll be reluctantly selling from my own collection over the next few weeks, all at no reserve. Due to current Ebay rules, I accept Paypal only and due to my own choice, I only ship to the USA, so no foreign bids will be accepted. Shipping is $10.00 and includes insurance and delivery conformation. All shipping is done via USPS Priority Mail and all items are carefully packed to insure they arrive safe and in the same condition they were in when I mailed them. My auctions always end on Sunday nights and if you send your Paypal payment before noon (EDT) the next day (Monday), at least for now, I can mail your package the same day. In all cases, I would like to receive your payment within three days from closing and for my part, I always try to have everything mailed by the end of the week. Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions and don't forget to check out my other listings for other cool stuff, as I will always combine your winnings from my other listings to save you on shipping. Thanks in advance and happy bidding!!!

My Take:
I remember when this figure used to sell for $500+ MOC like this - I think the market now understands that they aren't as rare as once believed. I do think someone got a good deal on this example - it's in better shape than mine and i paid considerably more.






Very Nice Major Matt Mason Scorpio figure MIB No reserv



eBay Auction #230399000209
Ending Bid: $480.00
End Date: Nov 22, 2009 17:40:01 PST

Description:
Offered here is a very nice Major Matt Mason / Scorpio figure in un-used condition in it's original box. The figure is bright and fresh and is basically in the kind of condition you would expect in a mint in the box figure. It is still secured to the insert with a double wire twist-tie that is still wrapped like it just came out of the factory. The box is pretty nice, with excellent cellophane (ignore the glare in the picture), but has been opened at one end and quite probably at the other end and been taped closed. All his parts are present, including his sealed cello bag of "search globes". In spite of the fact that everything appears to be in new condition, there is one small broken part. As shown in the picture, one of the handles on his"vest projector" has broken off. It looks like it would glue back on nicely, or could be replaced with one from your loose Scorpio figure. Also, on the tube where the"search globes" come out, one of the tips has been bent and looks like it would break off if you bent it back. I'm kind of at a loss as how this happened, as it seems stiff and new like it has never had it's loops bent back like would be necessary to put it on the figure. As they say, it was like this when I got it. On a side note, this is the same Scorpio figure that appears on the cover of Tomart's Action Figure Encyclopedia and Price Guide volume 2 and again inside as part of the Matt Mason listings. It also appeared in Tomarts Action Figure Digest #31. This figure is right out of my 25+ year Major Matt Mason collection and really is a nice, clean, sharp example of a hard to find piece and I'm sure it will look as nice in your collection as it has in mine. It is one of a small group of high grade Major Matt Mason toys I'll be reluctantly selling from my own collection over the next few weeks, all at no reserve. Due to current Ebay rules, I accept Paypal only and due to my own choice, I only ship to the USA, so no foreign bids will be accepted. Shipping is $10.00 and includes insurance and delivery conformation. All shipping is done via USPS Priority Mail and all items are carefully packed to insure they arrive safe and in the same condition they were in when I mailed them. My auctions always end on Sunday nights and if you send your Paypal payment before noon (EDT) the next day (Monday), at least for now, I can mail your package the same day. In all cases, I would like to receive your payment within three days from closing and for my part, I always try to have everything mailed by the end of the week. Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions and don't forget to check out my other listings for other cool stuff, as I will always combine your winnings from my other listings to save you on shipping. Thanks in advance and happy bidding!!!

My Take:
This is another figure that used to sell for $1000+ (I've seen them sell for $1500) back in the day that has now come down a bit as collectors realize that it's not as rare as once thought. Same seller as the Callisto above - I think this probably would have gone for a bit more if the chest pack wasn't broken.






MATTEL MAJOR MATT MASON SPACE MISSION TEAM SET 1968



eBay Auction #190351338156
Ending Bid: $189.50
End Date: Nov 27, 2009 12:25:38 PST

Description:
You are bidding on a rare Mattel Major Matt Mason Space Mission Team figure set. Set is in great condition with items showing some general play wear throughout. All item's included in the set are showing in pictures. Box shows some general storage wear throughout. Mattel 1968. A must have addition to any collection.

My Take:
The crappy photos didn't help this one one bit - I think it would have sold for $100 more if the photos were detailed. As is, it sold for about the value of the figures and accessories. This is a very hard box to find in decent condition for some reason - the insert was flimsy, as is the chip box so they are often mangled or crushed. The very small and blurry "cell phone" style photos only diminish the condition of the figures which appear to be very nice.



VINTAGE 1967 MAJOR MATT MASON by MATTEL, w/ PACKAGE



eBay Auction #300370070055
Ending Bid: $202.50
End Date: Nov 29, 2009 19:00:20 PST

Description:
Vintage MAJOR MATT MASON, from MATTEL's MAN IN SPACE series. He comes in his vintage carded bubble pack, which was opened from the back, but still displays nicely as you can see. Card is dated 1967. The figure itself looks great, with no broken limb wires. Also has a nice Helmet and Cat Trac. Very cool Space Toy from the 1960's.
Winning bidder covers Priority Insured postage, with NO handling or packing fee. Will be safely packed in sturdy box. Payment expected within 3 days of close. Our vintage toy auctions are offered and sold as-is, as shown, no returns or exchanges. Please ask all questions before bidding. Happy to provide any additional details, best before final day of auction. Thanks

On Nov-23-09 at 19:01:16 PST, seller added the following information:

In responce to a question, condition of the figure appears very clean, probably near-mint, but would not describe this as "factory mint". He has Blue Stripes, Silver Cuffs, and large red dots on forearms and ankles. The package at one time was neatly opened from the back with two cut lines, one 3/4" from top and the other about 1/4" from right side, as you can see in photo. Visually, from the front, it does not look as if the package was opened, so it still displays nicely.

My Take:
I think someone really got a bargain on this figure - black rubber MMM figures with unbroken wires and silver cuffs are very rare. Throw in the gold painted lettering on a very nice opened package and it makes for a nice deal indeed.




-- John

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice Finds and write ups John. I've been really busy and haven't stopped by in a while. I'm going to have to start coming by more often.

dgb_454

Anonymous said...

John,

What happened to Wildtoys?

Dave

Anonymous said...

John,

Wildtoys is back. Must have been a glitch.

Dave